Wednesday, May 10, 2006

"I was thirsty and you gave me drink..."

Tuesday morning I was doing the laundry when gradually, the water flow lessened to a trickle... and was gone. Huh. When I left the house, I discovered an official-looking pink slip taped to the door. I couldn't read it, so I took it to Gordon. Apparently there were some problems with our water bill - I tried to pay it last month, and the bank said I couldn't because it wasn't in our name (?!?) and not to worry (haha). This was, however, quickly resolved by the school, and we had water when we returned home.


Wednesday morning I was doing the laundry, having just finished the wash and filling the bucket with rinse water when, again, the water trickled to a stop. Huh. When I arrived at school I learned that, in fact, this time it had nothing to do with our water bill - the city was shutting off the water for three days. Three days? A little notice would have been appreciated... we could at least have filled the bathtub and had water to flush the toilet! Fortunately, the school has water still, so we planned to get drinking water there. However, we have been blessed already by the caring people in our church here.

At dinner time, my friend from church called to say hello, and I mentioned that we didn't have running water, but were making do. (We are, after all, reasonably experienced at life without running water - yay Brightwater! - though that's easier done with an outhouse and a barrel of water.) Less than an hour later, the minister's wife called to say they were on the way! Minutes later, they were in the driveway with two 5-gallon jugs of water. It's from an untested spring, so she warned us not to drink it - but we can, more grateful that ever for investing in a high-quality water filter before we came.

"I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me..." (Matthew 25:36-7, ESV)

No comments: