Monday, February 13, 2012

Maine Traditional Diet?

It's been just over a year since I started reading Nutrition and Physical Degeneration by Weston A. Price. Somehow I thought I'd have had time to finish it more quickly. At any rate, I'm still progressing with my reading as I get the farm geared up for this growing season. Our new cow, Comet, a Milking Shorthorn, is due to calve in less than three weeks, so I've been reading all I can on the subject of cattle and nutrition. In one of those books, I came across this:

I once knew a family with eleven children who lived about forty years ago in an isolated area of Maine before food stamps and convenience foods. They seemed to live most of the year on nothing but home-baked beans and the milk from their cow. They were all magnificently, bloomingly healthy. They obviously knew how to use milk right. p.87 Keeping a Family Cow (rev. ed.) by Joann Sills Grohman (the book was originally published in 1975)

I couldn't help but think that perhaps this sort of people could have been studied to great benefit by Dr. Price. Maybe he didn't know about them? Or perhaps because it's just one family, it's not a big enough sample. Anyway, being financially poor is not a prescription for poor health, so long as we eat properly!

No comments: