Thursday, February 01, 2007

Buying Bottled Water is Wrong

I remember even when I was young, there was no such thing as bottled water. I also remember that there was an expression that was used of an exceptional salesperson: "He could sell bottled water." Little did I know that we would be in the situation we are today - that people don't trust the tap water and only trust bottled water. Today I read a news report that quoted the Canadian scientist/environmentalist David Suzuki with the following statements:
It's nuts to be shipping water all the way across the planet, and us — because we're so bloody wealthy — we're willing to pay for that water because it comes from France.

I don't believe for a minute that French water is better than Canadian water. I think that we've got to drink the water that comes out of our taps, and if we don't trust it, we ought to be raising hell about that.

Not only does bottled water lead to unbelievable pollution — with old bottles lying all over the place — but plastic has chemicals in it.

Plastics are ubiquitous. I don't believe that plastics are not involved in a great deal of the health problems that we face today.
I wholeheartedly agree with him - the only thing I would add to what he says is that this earth is not ours to mess with. It is a gift from God, not ours to pollute. We are permitted to use what is here, but we are required to have careful stewardship over it. As the psalmist wrote:
The earth is the Lord's and the fullness thereof, the world and those who dwell therein. (Psalm 24.1)
By polluting the earth we are destroying ourselves and the planet. There will come a day of reckoning and we will be questioned. Proper stewardship of this planet in our day needs to be a fundamental Christian tenet.

Susan and I spend a lot of time thinking about all our choices when we purchase things. Especially food is an important one. Plastic bags are reused and reused until they have holes in them. And we use cloth bags for carrying everything possible. Sometimes we buy juice in plastic containers, but not often. We try very hard to limit our consumption of products that are in plastic. We can buy our milk in glass and we reuse those bottles for all sorts of things. There are so many little ways in which we can change what we do and will greatly benefit the planet - God's planet.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This decrepit aunt is new to blogs an comments, so bear with me. When I was going to comferences, many sponsors would put their products or give them away. The local grocery had a very little sign that they would refund 2 centas for each bag you brougt. I used canvas, until a major "discussion" with cashier, manager, and self. They said it was understood "You reuse plastic bags." The next day I took in plastic bags - from a Home Depot. The next day a new, large sign said, "Pathmark is happy to refund 2 cents got each PATHMARK bag you reuse." You do not have to be in Korea to reuse these bags. Before I let them use new bags, I sgeck them for holes since I have 1.5 miles to carry them. I also frequently stand by the window at the end of the line and put them in canvas bags as platic still frequently breaks. As far as bottled water, Susan you may not remember going to the well to get it, but it was always glass jars. Our well cost quite a bit to test and Mr. Butler and Mr. Maslen, after they were okayed, let us have it free. Milk got delivered in glass jars with real cream on top. So, Gordon, some have or still are using these practices. I am ecstatic when the Dollar store has plastic bags for sandwiches, storage, and best when they are the zippered type. I buy a lot of items there (they let me use canvas) and are cheaper (sometimes a brand I don't know, but always just as good.)
Right now I go to an Episcopal Church. Many now say, you mean that one with a LADY POPE! Katherine is a lady, but our presiding bishop, not pope. It is an intersting time to be there. I know our rector agrees with havin a woman Presiding Bishop, but not the Diocese of Vermont in "marrying those whom God made the same gender. He is very active that WE, the congregation, are the ones most responsible in spreading God's word. He is doing excellent work preparing us to do that in ways that are best for us.
Last year we had a very successsful 5 week Lenten sall group series. This tear it will be 10 weeks. The first 5 weeks start rights after Ash Wednesday and stop for Holy Week, resuming with a new book, perhaps new leaders for 5 books. I am in a quite small apartment, but you two may have had smaller. I am a leader, so it is here the first five weeks. The book, accompanied by a DVD (which is on my computer), is by Philip Yancey and called, "What's so AMAZING about GRACE? Two quotes on the back cover replay what you quoted from Psalms, Gordon.
"There is nothing we can do to make God Love us more,
There is nothing we can do to make God love us less."

I am sure there have been times the two of you wonder what God has in mind for you. I know, for myself, I wonder what else can go wrong with His Creation I call me. But is it wrong? Perhaps not - only unexpected. So with that and His Love for you, I say "enjoy the unexpected." He is always there in all ways. A.N.