Tuesday, July 25, 2006

What is God?

One of my precious 2nd graders came up to me before class and sweetly asked, "Teacher, what is God?" Oh my! I'm delighted. I'm speechless. I'm wondering if this is related to the classroom ban on "Oh my God." (Gordon and I are likely the first English teachers in the country to ban that phrase...)


Just how do you explain the concept of "God" to a crowd of eager seven year olds whose first language is not English? I don't know the word for God in Korean, but I suspect they do and that wasn't the issue. I did my best.

God is good.
God is powerful - hmm, do they know that word?
God made you, and God made me - probably a long shot.
God is inside, and outside, and everywhere.
I love God.
God loves you, and God loves me, and God loves everyone.
Bingo.

"Teacher, God is love?"

Yeah, that'll do!

No comments: